Saturday, March 04, 2006

China Changan Auto parent eyes overseas IPO-paper

SHANGHAI, Feb 9 (Reuters) - The state parent of Chongqing Changan Automobile Co. Ltd. (000625.SZ: Quote, Profile, Research), Ford's (F.N: Quote, Profile, Research) main Chinese partner, has injected its major assets into a listing vehicle, paving the way for an overseas float expected to raise 4 billion yuan ($497 million), state media said on Thursday.

The new firm, China Southern Auto Holdings Corp., has amassed 17 billion yuan in assets. It controls 52.5 percent of Chongqing Changan and has stakes in 14 auto parts subsidiaries of the parent firm, the official Shanghai Securities News said.

It has gained regulatory approval for an initial public offering overseas to fund capacity expansions, the paper said, without giving further details.

In November, China's No. 3 auto maker and Honda Motor Co. Ltd. (7267.T: Quote, Profile, Research)'s partner, Dongfeng Motor Group Co. Ltd., raised HK$3.97 billion (US$509 million) in an long-awaited share sale in Hong Kong.



Several other Chinese car makers are also planning IPOs to fund expansion.

Shanghai Automotive Group Co. Ltd., which has joint ventures with General Motors (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) and Volkswagen AG (VOWG.DE: Quote, Profile, Research), aims to raise US$2-US$3 billion in a Hong Kong listing this year.

Rival Beijing Auto, which has a joint venture with South Korea's Hyundai Motor Co. (005380.KS: Quote, Profile, Research) and DaimlerChrysler (DCXGn.DE: Quote, Profile, Research), plans to raise US$600 million in an overseas listing.

First Auto Works, China's largest vehicle maker and partner of Volkswagen, was eyeing an overseas listing within the next five years.

Car sales in China, the world's third-biggest vehicle market, grew 21.4 percent last year, picking up from relatively slow 15 percent growth in 2004.

Industry executive forecast similar growth this year driven mostly by demand for cheap and mid-price cars. ($1=8.0545 Yuan)

Mazda set to take stake in Ford's China jv with Changan - report

BEIJING (AFX) - Mazda Motor Corp is set to take a stake in Ford Motor Co's flagship joint venture with China's Changan Automotive Group, the China Daily reported.

In return, Changan Ford Automobile Co will invest in Mazda's joint venture with another Chinese automaker, First Automotive Works Corp (FAW), the newspaper said, citing Ford Motor China chief executive Kenneth Hsu.

Ford owns a 33.4 pct stake in Mazda.

Hsu did not disclose financial details of the two expected deals, the newspaper said.

'A four-party alliance is emerging between Ford, Mazda, Chang'an and FAW, which will facilitate our expansion in China,' Hsu told the newspaper.

Citing analysts, the newspaper said the plan is apparently a Ford-driven compromise between Changan and FAW, who are both looking to get involved with Mazda's growing brand in China.

'The new equity plan will be a good solution to the separation between manufacturing and marketing of the new Mazda3 and future Mazda products in China due to different partnerships,' the newspaper quoted Automotive Resources Ltd analyst Matthew Li as saying.

'It will help unify Mazda's branding activities in China,' he said.

Changan Ford last week started assembling the new Mazda3 at a plant in southwest China's Chongqing municipality, but the sedan will be marketed by FAW-Mazda, which is based in the northeastern province of Jilin, the newspaper said.

Mazda sold 133,778 vehicles in China last year, up 51 pct from 2004.

Mazda sales accounted for 60 pct of Ford's group sales in China, the newspaper said.